Monday, August 9, 2010

Freezer Paper T's

I've been wanting to make these for some time. I bought the paint and the freezer paper but hadn't gotten around to actually painting.

This past weekend, the two older granddaughters were here for a few days. I thought a perfect activity for us would be to make t-shirts. I had purchased pink t-shirts for the girls and my daughter washed them so we could paint them.

I cut out the design from Wall Decor and More. This cartridge is very creative, but the only image I've cut out is the dancer border. I set the Cricut to low pressure and 2 blade depth. I placed the freezer paper on the cutting mat, paper side down (the other side would not stick to the mat). I used my Gypsy to place the design on the mat, and reverse the image because it was cutting out on the back side of the freezer paper.

After cutting it out, I ironed on the negative of the design. Good thing there were only two little pieces to iron on besides the large negative of the design.

Kayla, my 5 year old granddaughter, chose purple to paint on the pink t-shirt. I gave her a sponge brush and I applied paint to the parts of the t-shirt that showed through the stencil. I told Kayla to dab (I was concerned that if she used a brushing stroke, it might pull up the edges of the freezer paper.) She did a great job. I went back and made sure all the t-shirt was covered with purple paint.

Then, it was Kerri's turn. She chose black paint for her pink shirt. She's only 2 1/2 and not as "crafty" as her older sister. I helped her paint the design and she seemed pretty happy with her painting.

We had lunch and by the time we came back to the craft room, the t-shirts were dry and I peeled away the paper. We were all very happy with the results. Here are the girls wearing their shirts!





Both of the girls are in dance class and can't wait to wear their shirts to class. They are already talking about more designs we can paint on shirts for them!

Thanks for stopping by...hope you are staying cool!

Koala-t hugs,

Cathy

2 comments:

  1. Nice T-shirts. I've also purchased freeser paper but haven't had the time to give it a try. I sure would like to see what other shirts they will be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!! I actually did a bunch of them last year for the first time.

    Then my Hallamrk ornaments collectors club decided to make club shirts. We abbreviated our name but there were still like 10 pieces to put in place. Took FOREVER!! cause everyone moaned about how difficult it was, so I ended up doing most of them. But, they turned out cute!!!

    Great job in sharing! I bet the girls will be the hit of their dance class!!

    Kim
    Kasot@aol.com

    ReplyDelete